Director of Human Resources
Salary: $130,000 to $150,000 Annually
Founded in 1889, Marlborough School is an independent girls college-preparatory school for grades 7 through 12 located in Los Angeles, California. Marlborough is the oldest independent girls’ school in the Southern California region. Central to Marlborough’s vision that Equity Leads Education is the belief in and passion for empowering young women to use their immense talents to better the world and become trailblazers in their own right. Bolstered by world-class faculty and staff, Marlborough students are challenged and inspired to work towards their own personal best and, in doing so, have an almost endless array of courses, extracurriculars, electives, and programs to spark their curiosity, deepen their compassion for one another, and lead lives of purpose
DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Marlborough School seeks an innovative, experienced, creative, and engaged Director of Human Resources to lead institution-wide efforts and initiatives in the area of human resources. This full-time exempt position reports directly to the Associate Head for Finance and Administration.
The Director of Human Resources provides general direction and oversight with respect to workforce management, recruiting, compensation and benefits administration, performance management, professional development, and employee relations. Working collaboratively with School administrators, department heads, faculty and staff, the Director of Human Resources provides strategic guidance and support in the development of an employee-oriented, high-performance culture, emphasizing the highest levels of quality and productivity standards.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Human Resources Administration and Compliance● Supervises a full-time Human Resources Generalist and Front Desk Coordinator, along with coordinating pooled responsibilities among the support staff to ensure completion of miscellaneous duties.
● Ensures Federal, State, and Local regulatory compliance (e.g., employee relations, recruitment activities, workers compensation, unemployment, LOA, and benefits).
● In partnership with senior leadership, including the Head of School, Associate Head for Finance and Administration, divisional directors and deans, routinely revises the School’s policies, procedures and practices, and serves as the primary communication vehicle to school employees regarding such changes, including ongoing revision and posting of the School’s Employee Handbook.
● Oversees the employee lifecycle in terms of recruitment strategy, on-boarding, including exit interviews.
● Serves on the Administration’s Professional Growth and Development Committee, Professional Development Planning Committee, as well as other committees and special projects ensuring an accessible, robust system of HR service-delivery. Also coordinates with the Dean of Faculty in terms of Faculty Professional Growth and Development and community-wide employee events and activities.
● Completes employment verifications and participates in external surveys in all areas of human resources, including compensation, benefits and trend setting.
● Provides strategic direction and overall guidance with respect to performance management standards and evaluation processes, ensuring overall effectiveness in terms of the School’s annual performance evaluation process.
Employee Relations● Assists in addressing employee relations issues; working directly with department heads and supervisors, provides strategic support in the development of plans to address employee performance and behavior. Provides ongoing feedback to the Head of School, Associate Head for Finance and Administration, divisional directors, and others as needed.
● Provides consultancy advice to division directors and department heads in evaluating and reviewing departmental concerns. When necessary, also guides department heads through implementing performance correction measures.
● At the direction of the Head of School, guides employee relations investigations and provides support, as needed, on investigations involving students.
● Consults with legal counsel as appropriate on personnel matters, or as directed by the Head of School or the Associate Head for Finance and Administration.
Benefits Administration● Assists employees with benefits resolutions regarding claims or coverage, reconciles benefit premiums, runs reports, monitors coverage, audits premium invoices and approves/coordinates with the Business Office for payment.
● Leads benefit renewal negotiations and communicates benefit programs by delivering information and materials to employees, including delivery of the School’s Open Enrollment Guide, as well providing various benefit and compensation presentations to all employees.
● Collects and maintains benefit related historical documents and processes benefit terminations along with changes of status, and reports changes to respective carriers, including coordination of 403(b) retirement programs.
● Identifies opportunities for community education and supports the Human Resources Generalist in the design and implementation of wholistic health and wellbeing offerings to employees.
● Coordinates disability and unemployment procedures and manages employee leaves and worker’s compensation claims.
Compensation and Payroll● Assists the Associate Head for Finance and Administration in the annual review, preparation, and administration of School wage and salary program.
● Responsible for overseeing distribution of employment agreements, including issuing annual contracts to faculty and staff at time of hire and annually.
● Provides strategic direction and overall guidance in order to align performance management standards and evaluation processes; ensures overall effectiveness in terms of the School’s annual performance evaluation process.
● Provides compensation and other relevant data to Head of School, Associate Head for Finance and Administration, divisional directors, managers for positions relating to the employment of candidates; makes initial hiring offers, ensures delivery of high-quality recruitment and on-boarding experiences
● Serves as the primary resource on all state and federal regulations including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, CFRA, ADA, etc., as well as wage and hour laws as they relate to payroll.
● Serves as liaison with payroll for accurate and timely transfer of information relating to compensation adjustments and benefit deductions; reviews and monitors payroll processing to ensure accuracy of payroll processing.
QUALIFICATIONS● Bachelor of Arts or Science Degree required; advanced degree in Human Resources or related field preferred.
● Minimum of 7 years of progressive experience in the field of human resources, including escalating authority of department level oversight and/or prior supervision of professional level human resources staff.
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; resourceful problem solver; high level of discretion and proven record of maintaining confidentiality and sound judgment.
● Highly organized with an ability to demonstrate success both independently and in collaborative groups, within a fast-paced environment, that often requires juggling multiple priorities.
● Proficiency in Google Suite, MS Office, Adobe, and other software platforms preferred to successfully execute duties, along with a strong aptitude to learn new software programs as needed.
For information about Marlborough School, its rigorous academic curriculum, fine arts and athletics programs, we invite you to visit our website at http://www.marlboroughschool.org. If you would like to apply for this position, please access the link to our online application management system on our website (http://www.marlboroughschool.org ) through the Careers link under the “About Us” drop-down menu.
Marlborough School is an equal opportunity employer. Marlborough recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Marlborough School is a diverse, inclusive community that strives to maintain diversity in all areas of employment.