Who we’re looking for:
The Episcopal School of Los Angeles Literature & Writing Department is seeking a Middle School Teacher who will support and challenge our younger students in their development of reading, writing, and verbal communication skills. The ideal candidate will have a passion for working with middle school students, and an enthusiasm for fostering a structured, nurturing, developmentally appropriate classroom environment.
The ideal candidate...
● A commitment to equity and inclusion.
● Robust, current, and expanding knowledge of literature old and new.
● Demonstrated success in middle grade curricular design and implementation.
● Experience in developing and practicing a joyful, relational middle school classroom culture.
● Demonstrated success in meeting the needs of ethnically, culturally, socioeconomically, and linguistically diverse students.
● Willingness to collaborate with the department in reviewing and establishing equitable grading practices to assess student writing.
● Eagerness to work collaboratively with the Humanities departments to develop interdisciplinary learning opportunities.
● Course load: 5 sections of 6th/7th/8th grade Literature
● Preparation of course materials and assessments, both working from existing curricular frameworks and through the development of new materials.
● Willingness to serve as an advisor to a small group of students.
● Participate in an after-school (3:30–5:30 p.m.) program two days a week (sports, clubs, performing arts, academic support, etc.).
● Attend regular community gatherings, including, but not limited to, meetings, Chapel, lunch, and major Feast Days.
All or most of the following:
● Bachelor’s degree in English, Comparative Literature, Ethnic Studies, or a related field.
● A desire to work in a creative, collaborative, innovative environment.
● Strong leadership and organizational skills.
● Candidates will preferably have a master’s degree in a relevant field of study, 3+ years of teaching experience, or a CA teaching credential.
● Covid vaccine and Covid booster required
Compensation and Benefits:
● Salary is competitive with other area independent schools.
● Full medical, dental, and vision benefits, plus 401(k) with employer match
● Lunch is freshly prepared and shared family-style by faculty and students each day.
● Beyond competitive pay and benefits, faculty enjoy working in a student-centered, collaborative, and joyful learning community.
● Anticipated base compensation is $65,000 - $85,000 depending on experience
Please send a cover letter and the following information with the subject line “Literature and Writing Department Faculty” to email@example.com
● Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
● A written statement that includes, at a minimum, answers to the following:
○ What is the spirit of your classroom?
○ What do you consider the particular responsibilities of a middle school educator?
ESLA is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, military or veteran status, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by state or federal law.