Entrepreneur in Residence Fellowship
2023 4 School Year
To Apply: If you would like to apply for this position, please access the link to our online application management system at https://www.marlborough.org/about/careers
Marlborough School, an independent, college preparatory school in Los Angeles for 530 young women in grades 7-12, seeks a dynamic Entrepreneur in Residence Fellow to join our Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation team for the 2023 - 2024 school year. The salary for this position is between $13,320.00 to $24,050.00. These figures are based on a $45.00/hr. to $65.00/hr. rate based on education and experience, assuming 8 to 10 hours a week of work, for 37 weeks as described in the responsibilities section below.
Marlborough’s Vision Statement: Equity leads Education
Marlborough’s Mission Statement: Where Learning Sparks Purpose
We believe a diverse team of educators is essential to the Vision and Mission of the School, for the following reasons:
● We instill confidence and cultivate leadership potential within each student, and serve as role models in inspiring them to pursue their personal best.
● We arm each graduate with the skills and motivation to create meaningful connections with people throughout the nation and across the world.
● We demonstrate the importance of community to our students, with mentorship responsibilities that extend beyond the classroom and the curriculum.
● We commit to transforming our community so that equity is at the heart of a Marlborough education.
It is our responsibility to employ a diverse group of mentors and educators who exemplify excellence in teaching and leadership, and teach by example as well as by pedagogy.
The Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (CEI) is where students create and collaborate, fail forward, and equip themselves with the tools and skills needed to become the leaders of the future. At the root of our mission is a commitment to inspire and empower students to imagine where their curiosity can take them. The CEI houses five key programs on campus including: Entrepreneurship & Engineering, Research, Computer Science & Software Innovation, Robotics & Fabrication, and Media Studies, as well as our library. The CEI programs, courses, and co-curricular opportunities encourage exploration, iteration, collaboration, and creativity through project-based learning and real-world work with mentors and collaborators in-house, across Los Angeles, and beyond. Students gain valuable insight and exposure to interdisciplinary fields outside traditional school curriculum, while engaging in passion projects and developing tangible, translatable skills.
The Entrepreneur in Residence Fellowship program recognizes individuals with demonstrated expertise in the entrepreneurial process. Entrepreneur in Residence Fellows are knowledgeable experts who can contribute significantly to the research, teaching, and passion projects of our student entrepreneurs and faculty. These individuals are crucial to maintaining and advancing Marlborough’s cutting edge entrepreneurship programs and preparing students for a lifetime of innovation. Applicants must be currently enrolled in or actively pursuing a Master’s or Doctoral degrees in entrepreneurship, business or a related field.
The Entrepreneur in Residence will work closely with our Accelerator and Incubator programs. Both programs are open to girls and gender expansive youth at Marlborough and across Los Angeles. The Entrepreneur in Residence Fellowship Program provides students with access to an expert with direct experience in and content knowledge pertaining to launching a business, the entrepreneurial experience, and professional leadership. The ideal candidate would be knowledgeable in all stages of the entrepreneurial process and would be particularly excited to consult on the later stages (revenue model, pricing structure, business formation, etc.). The ideal candidate would also be excited about taking on a mentorship role for students in grades 7 - 12 by becoming part of their entrepreneurship team of mentors.
● This is a part-time fellowship position to run from August 14, 2023 through May 24, 2024. Fellows are expected to be on campus 8-10 hours a week and be available Monday & Tuesday afternoons from 4:00 - 5:30 p.m.
● Collaborate with entrepreneurship faculty, the Associate Director of the Frank & Eileen Accelerator Program, and Director of the Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation.
● Maintain a safe, dynamic learning environment to help students engage fully in an entrepreneurial mindset.
● Plan, prepare and deliver engaging entrepreneurship lessons on a variety of topics that could include market analysis, competitive analysis, business model, market adoption, and branding.
● Plan, prepare and deliver engaging workshops for students on a variety of topics that could include resume building, how to find an internship, networking, making the most of your summer, interviewing, professional communication, personal finance, etc.
● Directly support students by meeting with them individually to provide mentorship and guidance on their business concepts.
● Possess, at minimum, a Bachelor's Degree in Business or related field, OR a Bachelor’s Degree in a non-related field, but a demonstrated interest in the study of entrepreneurship and business.
● Has demonstrated interest in teaching, tutoring or working with young people.
● Comfortable with teaching business and entrepreneurship concepts.
● Excellent organizational and digital technology skills, including experience with Google Suite (Mail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides), Canva, and Excel.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Committed to the development of young women and individuals female-assigned at birth, including experience and enthusiasm for positive identity development and diversity, equity and inclusion work.
● Enjoys collaborating with others on curriculum development, lesson plans and idea development.
For information about Marlborough School, its rigorous academic curriculum, fine arts and athletics programs, we invite you to visit our website at http://www.marlboroughschool.org . If you would like to apply for this position, please access the link to our online application management system on our website (http://www.marlboroughschool.org ) through the Employment Opportunities link under the “About Us” drop-down menu.
Marlborough School is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any basis made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, including, but not limited to, race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or sexual orientation.