Full-Time Athletic Trainer / School Health Coordinator Position
The College Preparatory School, an independent high school in Oakland, California, seeks a full-time Athletic Trainer / School Health Coordinator position. The Athletic Trainer / School Health Coordinator is primarily responsible for the health and well-being of College Prep students and student-athletes through preventive health measures and treating athletic injuries. This position requires a high degree of independent judgment and the ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, and other school personnel. The Athletic Trainer/School Health Coordinator is an exempt faculty employee reporting directly to the Athletic Director.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Provide preventative athletic medical and general health care to all community members.
- Manage the treatment and rehabilitation, and when necessary, refer to specialists of injured athletes as they return to athletic activities. Work closely with coaches, athletes, and families concerning care and return-to-play decisions for student-athletes.
- Provide a presence at competitions and practices. Factors that shall determine the priority of the presence Athletic Trainer shall include home events, the nature of the sport and the risk of injury in that sport, and the level of the teams playing (e.g., Varsity teams have priority over JV teams), and equalizing time between boys' and girls' athletic events. The AT will also attend to the needs of visiting team players and coaches at all College Prep home athletic contests. Should an emergency occur at a facility the AT supervises, the AT will respond to the injured/ill patron as a ﬁrst responder.
- Maintain Athletic Trainers Room Schedule and Procedures- At the beginning of each season, work with the AD and meet with respective coaches to explain Athletic Training procedures, coordinate all schedules (except for rain-outs and cancellation of games), and answer questions.
- Develop and communicate a schedule of athletic trainer presence each school day and at all home athletic events.
- Maintain and inventory all athletic training equipment and medical supplies. The AT shall provide each team with necessary medical supplies for off-campus events.
- Oversee all aspects of College Prep's Return to Play concussion protocols. The Athletic Trainer will consult the Dean of Academics regarding College Prep's Return to Learn concussion protocols.
- Maintain and oversee College Prep's on-campus and portable team AEDs and Narcan supply.
- Collect and maintain the database of the pre-participation physical records and provide emergency cards and contact information to the appropriate coaches for their athletes.
- Assist the Athletic Director with other tasks and responsibilities as required by the Athletic Director (score table and extra driver, extra adult presence at games).
- Work with various College Prep campus community members concerning injury protocol, medical attention, and multiple aspects of health and ﬁtness when needed.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive injury and illness prevention plan and emergency action plan for each sport.
- Administrative Tasks / General Health Coordinator
- Serve on College Prep's Safety Committee and track health conditions and injuries in the College Prep community. Review the School's Emergency Action Plans and keep current with local emergency medical professionals.
- Develop health and safety protocols for maintaining the in-person school. Including but not limited to COVID-19 protocols.
- On-Campus Care and Management
- Manages the school medication policies and procedures
- Provides major and minor ﬁrst aid to students and faculty/staff
- Provides emergency medical aid to students and school staff
- Screens students for basic medical data and status
- Obtains, maintains, and updates student health history and records (Emergency Cards and Preparticipation Physicals)
- Documents student illness and accidents
- Manage local, state, and federal COVID-19 protocols and implement such protocols, as well as provide resources for the school.
- Complete required state reports, including immunization records.
- Overview of College Prep's Emergency Action Plan
- Participate in the development of the School's Emergency Response Plan.
- Develop/revise school health policies and procedures.
- Provide Ofﬁce Support
- Campus Health
- Evaluates students or employees with contagious or infectious diseases
- Oversees disease and risk mitigation in the school setting
- Provides insight on and promotion of health education and immunization programs
- Enforces the school's protocol for blood-borne pathogens
- Coordinates with teachers in instructing students in health and wellness education.
- Coordinates health and safety certiﬁcation for employees (i.e., ﬁrst aid, CPR, Naloxone, and other health-related training)
- Other duties as assigned
- Student Life
- Attend all grade-level retreats
- Attend senior snow trip
- Participate in Common Classroom
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Various hours, nights, and weekends as needed.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is an exempt position. Competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Beneﬁts package includes, but is not limited to, medical, life, and dental insurance and a pension plan. Generous vacation package.
All school personnel must successfully complete a ﬁngerprint background check through Live Scan and provide current tuberculosis clearance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree or higher (Sports Medicine or similar ﬁeld)
- Athletic Trainer Certiﬁed (ATC)
- 2-4 years of recent medical experience, preferably as an athletic trainer or school nurse
- Basic Life Support Certiﬁcation (Instructor certiﬁcation preferred) Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws
- Verbal and written communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task effectively
- Proﬁcient computer and technology skills
Annual Salary - 75,000 - 95,000
Founded in 1960, The College Preparatory School is an independent, coeducational secondary school created for intellectual risk-takers who want to pursue a purposeful education with kindred peers. Our mission is to prepare students for productive, ethical lives in college and beyond by fostering a stimulating education within an atmosphere of consideration, trust, and mutual responsibility. As an equal opportunity employer, College Prep does not discriminate in its hiring of employees on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship, marital or veteran status, age, or disability. We actively seek diversity among our faculty and administration as well as among our students.