Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Reports To: Controller
Position Type: Full-Time, Non Exempt
Bentley School is a K-12 co-educational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland (K-8) and Lafayette (9-12), California. Founded in 1920, the Bentley School legacy of excellence in teaching and learning combined with The Bentley Promise maximize student success in college and throughout their lives. Bentley School is an inclusive community that shares a vision of academic achievement, balance, and the cultivation of character.
The position of Accounting Assistant is responsible for providing a high level of confidential accounting, and administrative support to the Controller and the business office. The incumbent will utilize knowledge in the use of general ledger software, accounts receivable, accounts payable, administration, organization, effective communication, and customer service to proactively support the daily accounting procedures.
Essential Functions (not limited to)
- Review & process purchase orders, vendor invoices, and credit card statements ensuring proper account coding and approvals
- Prepare AP checks and online bill pay according to school policies and payment procedures
- Prepare and run all accounts payable reports and maintain all accounts payable and vendor files, including W9s.
- Prepare analysis of accounts, as required
- Administer all reimbursements according to school policies
- Answer all vendor inquiries
- Assist with monthly closings, audit preparation, and special departmental projects
- Prepare and disburse monthly activity reports (actual vs. budget)
- Report W-9 information to EDD and maintain independent contractor files
- Generate annual 1099’s and annual IRS reports on 1099 vendors.
- Managed the Fixed Asset system, including monthly booking of capital expenses and calculation of deprecation.
- Other duties as assigned by the Controller
Student Accounts/Accounts Receivable/Cash Processing
- Maintain student billing database in TADS billing system
- Enter cash receipts and update TADS and the general ledger
- Prepare bank deposits, process credit card payments
- Research and process tuition insurance claims
- Research and process charge backs, returns, and bad checks
- Answer parent and other inquiries related to billing and tuition payments
- Review A/R aging and contact delinquent accounts
- Administer petty cash fund and reimbursements according to school policies
Assist with monthly closings, audit preparation, and special departmental projects
- Minimum of 3
- years of administrative support experience in a similar position
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and Windows based computer systems
- Familiarity / experience working in an office setting
- Initial and continued tuberculosis clearance
- Initial and continued LiveScan criminal background clearance
- College course work related to Accounting
- Experience with school-based systems such as TADS and Financial Edge general ledger system
Success Factors / Competencies
- Ability to perform complex support for administrators including clerical duties, information research, database tracking, analytical report generations, decision-making, and scheduling
- Flexible, responsible, resourceful with effective time-management skills
- Excellent organizational and follow-through skills
- Thorough knowledge of general office practices, procedures, and equipment
- Ability to quickly grasp and take on responsibilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong ability to work with and maintain confidential information
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects
- Drive to see projects through to successful execution
Reporting to this position
- No direct reports.
Physical demands and work environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative to those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and use a computer for extended periods of time; use fine motor skills, turn and bend; reach with hands and arms; balance; stand; stoop; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and / or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and contact information of three (3) references to Tham Truong, Controller, at email@example.com. Include “Accounting Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls please.