Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Head Varsity Volleyball Coach
To Apply: If you would like to apply for this position, please access the link to our online application management system at http://www.marlborough.org/about/employment
Reports to: Athletic Director
Responsibilities: The Head Varsity Volleyball Coach provides leadership, supervision and organization for the Marlborough School Volleyball Program and is responsible for carrying out the objectives of the entire athletic program within the guidelines of the Marlborough Mission and the Athletic Department Philosophy. The Head Coach supervises the Assistant Coaches, JV, 7th, and 8th grade coaches, and student assistants/managers.
● Formulates objectives for the upcoming sport season.
● Keeps abreast of new ideas and techniques by attending clinics and workshops, researching in his/her field and encouraging the assistant coaches to do the same.
● Remains knowledgeable of rules and regulations concerning his/her sport, and keeps abreast of changes.
● Adheres to proper procedures for out-of-season practices according to state high school association guidelines, as well as the rules and regulations of Marlborough School..
● Adheres to the rules and regulations of Marlborough School.
● Remains active in professional organizations such as the state coaches association.
● Selects and maintains equipment and keeps an accurate inventory.
● Assists the Athletic Director as needed.
● Works with the Athletic Director to ensure all positions have been staffed within the volleyball program.
● Assists the Athletic Trainer with ensuring all athletes are cleared for participation.
● Reviews the School’s policy on accident reporting and insurance procedures.
● Explains all the regulations of the School presented in the Marlborough Student Handbook of Expectations to athletes.
● Clarifies the award policy with athletes.
● Selects and instructs team managers on proper care of equipment, facilities, and other duties as assigned.
● Checks arrangement for all bus/van trips with Athletic Director.
● Administers a pre-season parent meeting and clarifies all rules, regulations and expectations for the upcoming season.
● Organizes and chairs a pre-season meeting with the complete Volleyball staff.
● Distributes the practice schedule for the entire program.
● Provides the Athletic Director with proof of Red Cross, First Aid and CPR certification, as well as all other required training.
● Ensures the coaching staff has completed all required training prior to start of the season.
● Assumes responsibility for ongoing care of equipment and facilities being used.
● Assumes supervisory control over all phases of teams in the program.
● Organizes and schedules practice sessions on a regular basis with the idea of developing the athlete’s greatest potential.
● Applies discipline in a firm and positive manner as outlined in the athletic policy.
● Ensures that facility regulations are understood and enforced.
● Emphasize safety precautions and uses accepted training and injury procedures.
● Conducts oneself and teams in an ethical manner during practice and in contests.
● Reports outcome of contests to the media and the Athletic Director.
● Instructs players on rules and rule changes, and new ideas and techniques.
● Provides the Athletic Director with a copy of all general correspondence and bulletins to student athletes and parents.
● Accompanies and directs the varsity team and assistant coaches, in all interscholastic activities.
● Designates one or more assistant coaches to be responsible for the junior varsity, sophomore, freshman and 7/8th grade teams as applicable.
● Attends all Athletic Department, League and C.I.F. scheduled meetings.
End of Season:
● Arranges for the systematic return of all school equipment/uniforms and holds the athlete responsible for all equipment/uniforms not returned.
● Arranges for cleaning, storing and conducting an inventory of all equipment/uniforms.
● Recommends student athletes who have fulfilled requirements for athletic letters, certificates or special awards.
● Recommends additions and/or improvements for the care and maintenance of facilities.
● Recommends personnel for assistant coaching positions to the Athletic Director.
● Submits recommendations for schedule for next year.
● Selects equipment and makes recommendations for purchases.
● Prepares a budget, in conjunction with the Athletic Director.
● Maintains records of team and individual accomplishments.
● Evaluates past season.
● Evaluates all assistant coaches under his/her supervision.
● The ideal candidate should possess at a minimum a Bachelor’s degree in a related field
● A minimum of 5 years of coaching experience at the secondary, club or collegiate level.