Reports To: K-8 Director
Position Type: Full-Time, Faculty, Exempt
Pay Range: $67,500-$135,000 per year, depending on years of experience.
Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 co-educational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland (K-8) and Lafayette (9-12), California. Bentley School celebrates the cultural and ethnic diversity of its community as a key strength of its program and desires faculty members who will help cultivate these shared values. Bentley School is an inclusive community that shares a vision of academic achievement, balance, and the cultivation of character. Bentley seeks a Performing Arts teacher at the K-8 campus in Oakland.
Criteria: Self-motivated individuals who want to play an integral role in a dynamic school community.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
● Teach middle school Performing Arts electives Mondays-Thursdays
● Create and direct the middle school trimester performances (fall, winter, spring)
● Serving as a co-advisor to a group of middle school students
● Teach lower school students by trimester
● Create and direct lower school grade level performances
● Develop daily lesson plans and assessments of student performance
● Participate in various aspects of student life at Bentley such as advising students
● Work collaboratively with administrations, grade level teachers, specialists, and advisors
● Develop and maintain positive relationships with colleagues, students, and families
● Support and follow school policies and procedures
● Create a positive learning environment both remotely and on campus where students thrive academically
● Engage in regular supervisory duties including recess and lunch
● Attend regular faculty, grade-level, and weekly department meetings
● Be a positive and contributing member of the Bentley community
● Communicate effectively with parents through conferences, and report writing
● Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Drama, Performing Arts, or related field
● Minimum of 2-3 years of teaching experience or related experience working with students in performing arts
● Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
● Experience in an interdisciplinary environment with an emphasis on group collaboration
● Experience in teaching problem-solving skills in addition to content
● Experience in theatrical production and creative solutions to scenery, props, and costumes
● Ability and willingness to work with students in large and small group settings using multiple teaching methods to reach a broad range of students
● Desire to continually examine one’s practice with the goal to improve student learning
● Commitment to issues of diversity, leadership, inclusion, and equity; Candidates who reflect the broad range of diversity of the Bay Area are encouraged to apply
● Experience in working with grades K-8
● Experience in innovative course design, planning, implementation, and assessment
All employees are required to be vaccinated for the COVID-19 vaccine before beginning their employment with Bentley.
Bentley School is an equal opportunity employer and seeks rich diversity among faculty and administration. The School offers competitive compensation and benefits. Bentley is a growth-oriented school which is reflected in our commitment to providing ample funds to support the professional development of our faculty.
How to Apply
Please submit a letter of interest, a CV/resume, and a statement of teaching philosophy that addresses both your approach to working with students and how you approach your classroom practice. A list with the names and contact information of three (3) references should also be included. No phone calls, please.
Qualified, interested, candidates may apply for the position through our online application at