Who we are:
Founded in 2012, the Episcopal School of Los Angeles is an independent, co-ed, college-preparatory day school serving grades six through twelve. Forty percent of our students’ tuition expenses are made possible through donor-funded scholarships. This is a nearly unparalleled commitment in the L.A. independent school landscape, which allows ESLA to recruit and enroll an uncommonly diverse student body that reflects the vibrant character of our city—bright, dedicated students from all walks of life. Our model is founded upon the belief that the best educational tool for any young person is the collaboration and camaraderie of peers from different backgrounds—peers who have stories and perspectives to share, the stuff of life that simply cannot be gleaned from a textbook. For further information about the school, please visit es-la.com.
Who we’re looking for:
The Communications Manager develops content for and maintains the crucial elements of the School’s internal and external communications and marketing materials, including the school website, the weekly school newsletter, all social media accounts, the online school store, major annual publications, and other print materials.
Collaborates with: The Advancement Team, including the Director of Admissions, Director of Development, and Advancement Associate.
Direct Supervisor: The Director of External Relations.
● Promote and differentiate the School to build awareness and brand meaning.
● Produce content for and manage the day-to-day aspects of the School’s externally-facing website and social media channels.
● Coordinate with faculty, administrators, and students to keep pace with School stories and events; photograph and cover classroom activities, field trips, and special events; develop daily content that a) engages current families, b) advances and sharpens the School’s visibility in its local market, and c) supports the broad efforts of the Advancement Team, including driving admissions inquiries and increasing donor giving.
● Develop and maintain internal communications, including the weekly School Newsletter, to keep all relevant constituencies informed and engaged.
● Manage the production and develop in-depth content for the School magazine (digital and print) and other major print publications, including the Annual Report.
● Produce and coordinate distributions of regular mailers for current families and other School constituencies.
● Under the supervision of the Director of External Relations, manage day-to-day aspects of the School’s online store, including invoices, inventory, and product development; manage relationships with specialty vendors and consultants in developing print and other School-branded materials.
● In coordination with the Director of External Relations, maintain internal style guides; communicate clear guidelines and best practices to all relevant internal and contracted parties in order to maintain consistent School voice and graphic identity across all aspects of School communications.
● Conduct staff training and onboarding regarding communications protocols.
● Upon request, develop templates or graphic assets for a wide variety of School communications; edit and format internal School documents to ensure coherence and consistent voice, style, and graphic identity.
● Develop and manage local media relations.
● Upon request, compose, edit, format, and/or distribute communications on behalf of the School, the Head of School, the Director of External Relations, other administrators, and the Board of Trustees.
● Maintain School communications archives, including all relevant templates, exemplars, lockups, and assets.
● Coordinate with and support the broad efforts of the Advancement Team.
● Other duties as assigned.
All or most of the following:
● Bachelor’s degree.
● Highly competent with word processors, spreadsheets, and slide decks.
● Web management experience; Squarespace and some coding experience preferred.
● Experience developing and managing social media campaigns.
● Digital photography and graphic design experience.
● Fluency with the Adobe suite, especially Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
● A desire to work in a creative, collaborative, innovative environment.
● Strong teamwork and organizational skills.
● Enjoys spending time engaging with children and educators.
● Willingness to stretch and develop their skills, which this person recognizes as critical to job success.
● Can-do, positive attitude.
● Flexible thinker.
● Role model for the community.
● Self-starter who enjoys a challenge and is invested in creating exceptional work.
● Strong colleague and collaborator.
● Follows through and closes the loop.
● Good sense of humor.
● Enthusiasm for the School’s mission.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality.
● Ability to work collegially with all constituencies.
● Responsiveness to requests for information and support.
Compensation and Benefits:
● Salary is competitive with other area independent schools.
● Full medical, dental, vision benefits, plus 401(k) with employer match after one year of employment.
● Breakfast and lunch are freshly prepared by ESLA’s in-house kitchen each day.
● Beyond competitive pay and benefits, administrators enjoy working in a student-centered, collaborative, and joyful learning community.
● Anticipated base compensation is $75,000 - $85,000 depending on experience
● Immediate hire will be considered for the right candidate
Please send a cover letter and the following information with the subject line “Communications Manager” to email@example.com.
● Résumé or Curriculum Vitae.
● A personal statement no longer than 300 words.
● A written statement responding to the following question:
○ Take some time to review our website (es-la.com) and our Instagram page (@esla.school). What first steps would you take to enhance and expand these platforms?
This is a full-time, exempt position. Diverse and traditionally underrepresented candidates are encouraged to apply.ESLA is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, military or veteran status, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by state or federal law