Reports To: K-8 Director
Position Type: Full-Time, Faculty, Exempt
Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 co-educational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland (K-8) and Lafayette (9-12), California. Bentley School celebrates the cultural and ethnic diversity of its community as a key strength of its program, and desires faculty members who will help cultivate these shared values. Bentley School is an inclusive community that shares a vision of academic achievement, balance, and the cultivation of character. Bentley seeks a Middle School Spanish teacher at the Hiller campus in Oakland.
Responsibilities for this position will include, but are not limited to:
● Assume the role of Middle School teacher for four sections of Spanish, one elective section, and act as a grade level advisor.
● Fulfill operational responsibilities such as weekly and monthly school meetings, provide student supervision during breaks, student drop off and pick up, and participate in admissions events.
● Consistently foster positive relationships with current and prospective families through ongoing dialogue, professional correspondence, and clear communication.
● Collaborate with other members of the Middle School to organize and participate in non-classroom student experiences such as Town Meeting, overnight trips, field day, and other opportunities.
● Carry out operational tasks as required, including recording attendance, prompt start and end times to classes, timely responses to communications, and ensure that all policies and procedures are followed at all times.
● Degree in Spanish and/or a related field that requires significant coursework in Spanish; advanced degree preferred
● Native speaker or near native proficiency
● A minimum of three years experience teaching Spanish, preferably in an independent school environment
● Familiarity with teaching using the immersion approach in the target language while incorporating a deep focus on cultural understandings
● Experience in teaching writing and study skills
● Ability and willingness to work with students in large and small group settings using multiple teaching methods to reach a broad range of students
● Desire to continually examine one’s practice with the goal to improve student learning
● Commitment to issues of diversity, leadership, inclusion, and equity. Candidates who reflect the broad range of diversity of the Bay Area are encouraged to apply
● A desire to collaborate in a dynamic community of teachers
● Excellent interpersonal, writing, and communication skills in English and Spanish
● Experience in innovative course design, planning, implementation, and assessment
Bentley School is an equal opportunity employer and seeks rich diversity among faculty and administration. The School offers competitive compensation and benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit a letter of interest and CV/resume. A list with the names and contact information of three (3) references should also be included. No phone call please.
Qualified, interested candidate may apply for the position through online application at https://bentleyschool.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=49
Cal-ISBOA is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org
Copyright ISBOA 2011 — Present