Communications Specialist (Part-Time)
Reports to: Head of School
Park Century School was founded in 1968 as an independent not-for-profit, co-educational day school to meet the needs of children who learn differently. Park Century serves students between the ages of 6 to 14 or grades 1st to 8th, living in the South Bay to the San Fernando Valley and throughout the greater Los Angeles area. Park Century’s mission is to empower bright children with learning differences to reach their academic and personal potential. Students flourish within our individualized, evidence-based curriculum and supportive environment. In collaboration with their families, the school inspires students to develop into resilient self-advocates and builds a foundation for lifelong achievement.
Park Century School is founded on the principle of honoring the diversity of the human and educational experience. We seek applicants who recognize that all children can learn when provided with explicit instruction targeted at meeting students' individual needs. Park Century School seeks candidates committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive teaching and learning community. We value multiple perspectives and do not discriminate based on race, culture, religion, age, national origin, disability status, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Under the direction of the Head of School, the Communications Specialist will work to develop exceptional written and designed communications materials in a variety of modalities, including narratives, websites, email, social media, print, and others to inform the Park Century School community of key information, news, events, and other topics that advance the School’s mission and institutional goals.
This position requires excellent verbal and written communication skills and sensitivity to confidential matters. In addition, the Communications Specialist must have attention to detail and the ability to multitask.
● Abides by the policies and guidelines contained in the Park Century School Employee Handbook.
● Research, write and edit email newsletters and messages to ensure clear and accurate communication with constituents.
● Copyedit, proofread, and revise communications from multiple departments to ensure accuracy and quality.
● Create compelling written content for a variety of platforms, including the School’s website, social media, email, ads, and more..
● Support senior management, faculty, and staff with communications (i.e., slide presentations, one-pagers, etc.).
● Update and add content to the School’s websites.
● Regularly review the School’s websites to ensure information accuracy, proper display on multiple devices, and site health.
● Experience with technology, specifically iPads, MacBooks, Google Suite, and SMART Technologies.
● Steward the School’s editorial and brand standards by ensuring consistency and visual integrity in all communications.
● Revise communications from multiple departments to ensure alignment with the School’s brand guidelines.
● Share administrative duties with other team members.
● Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
● Required to be on campus when students are on campus.
● Bachelor’s degree in a related area.
● Two or more years of related experience and/or equivalent experience and training preferred.
● Solid knowledge of communications principles, concepts, strategies, and best practices.
● Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
● Current knowledge of social media platforms and current communications technology with the ability to demonstrate best practices.
● Proven project management skills and ability to drive a project from concept to completion.
● Experience with managing or updating websites.
● Ability to work well within a team and with other groups within the School.
● Acute attention to detail, accuracy, grammar, and punctuation.
● Strong time management skills.
● Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask and prioritize workflow.
● Highly motivated, productive, and deadline oriented.
● Good judgment, tact, diplomacy, and ability to guard confidentiality.
● Have a passion for personal and professional growth.
Skilled in the use of:
● AP Style
● Google Suite products such as Gmail, Drive, Docs, Slides, and Sheets
● Microsoft Office Suite
● Adobe software, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, and others
● Content management systems such as WordPress
● Social media monitoring software
● Working knowledge of HTML
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the job’s essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit in on meetings and work on a computer for long periods; and is occasionally required to walk, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, talk, and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Submit your cover letter and resume to:
Park Century School
3939 Landmark Street
Culver City, CA 90232
The School's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and to make employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, and competence. The School does not unlawfully discriminate based on an individual’s sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, pregnancy, and breastfeeding), race (including traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), age (40 and over), marital status, military or veteran status, genetic characteristic or genetic information, physical or mental disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Cal-ISBOA is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org
Copyright ISBOA 2011 — Present