Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Presidio Knolls School (PKS) seeks a dynamic, creative leader to oversee and direct the school’s admissions program.
Founded in 2008, Presidio Knolls School (PKS) has grown rapidly since its start as a two-room preschool, establishing a unique position in Bay Area’s independent school community through its blend of progressive education and Mandarin immersion. Today, the school enrolls 390 students in preschool through seventh grade, and will add eighth grade per year in 2020 when it will be a full preschool through eighth grade.
The progressive philosophy of Presidio Knolls School embraces students as co-collaborators in their education—helping children to shape their own learning journey toward topics of greatest interest. The school has a commitment to social-emotional learning that pervades the culture of the school.
The PKS curriculum is project-based and interdisciplinary and holds the child at the center. Our preschool program is inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach and aims to nurture the infinite capacities of children, by allowing them to learn by exploring, experimenting, collaborating. They develop proficiency and a positive disposition towards Mandarin language and Chinese culture, by being surrounded by a dynamic and authentic immersion environment. In the elementary and middles school programs, Units of Exploration integrate math, science, social studies, art, drama, and movement around overarching topics of inquiry in English and Chinese, contextualizing all learning through a real-world lens. Critical to this approach is hands-on, experiential instruction. As such, learning often takes place outside of the classroom.
The Director of Admission is a member of the PKS Leadership Team and has intimate knowledge of the school’s philosophy, goals, mission, curriculum, middle school development, campus build-out, and unique qualities of PKS as one of San Francisco’s newest and most innovative progressive, language-immersion independent schools.
A key responsibility of the Director is formulating an admissions and recruitment strategy, with a focus on three key entry points – preschool, kindergarten, and middle school. The Director oversees all aspects of the school’s admissions program to achieve the school’s enrollment goals and support the school’s mission. Additionally, the Director leads key projects to improve student admissions and recruitment worldwide, with most of the emphasis in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. This is an exempt position reporting to the Head of School and may take on other duties as specified by the Head.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Develop and implement an admission process, criteria and calendar that support the school’s mission and development goals.
· Partner members of the Leadership Team to create admissions materials and manage the school’s online presence to support admissions goals and promote the school.
· Oversee parent school visits, campus tours, assessments, play dates, orientations and other admissions activities.
· Conduct parent interviews and group sessions to provide information, answer questions and secure the admission of qualified students.
· Maintain the enrollment/admissions database, online application and online scheduling process; coordinates re-enrollment and contracting of current students; and works with school staff, students, and parent volunteers to ensure appropriate presence at admission activities.
· Build and maintain strong relationships with local preschools, elementary schools, middle schools, and other community organizations.
· Prepare and manage the admissions budget and operate the department within established budgetary guidelines.
· Maintain admissions and enrollment statistics and provides status and achievement reports to administrators and/or board members as directed.
· Facilitate new family transition, including assignment of ambassador families to new students and their parents, creation of orientation materials, coordination of new parent welcome events and related activities.
· Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with families as they progress in the school in the school community and manages retention and attrition issues.
· Participate in the Bay Area Directors of Admission group and ensures that PKS admissions follow the guidelines of the group.
· Supervise and guide the Admissions Associate.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent will be considered. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
· Minimum 2-5 years of administrative experience in a school environment, preferably in Independent/Private Schools. Experience with school admissions and communication critical.
· Strong team orientation and ability to work collaboratively with all members of the school community.
· Excellent verbal and written communications skills, public speaking and presentation skills, and interpersonal and interview skills.
· Personal warmth, positive attitude, and a deep commitment to constituents of all backgrounds.
· Demonstrated event planning and marketing experience.
· Strong technology skills for presentation and database use.
· Strong time management and organizational skills.
To apply, please submit your resume and letter of interest with the subject as “Director of Admission” to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Presidio Knolls School offers equal opportunity to all, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, and national origin, ethnicity, age, sex or disability or other protected class status under any applicable laws. Employment will be contingent on successful completion of a background check.