Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Presidio Knolls School is seeking a dynamic and experienced Music Teacher.
Founded in 2008, Presidio Knolls School (PKS) has established a unique position in the Bay Area’s independent school community through its blend of progressive education and Mandarin immersion. Today, the school enrolls 390 students in preschool through seventh grade, and will continue to add one grade per year until 2020 when there will be a full preschool through eighth grade.
The progressive philosophy of Presidio Knolls School embraces students as co-collaborators in their education, valuing their voice and agency to shape their own learning journey. The school has a commitment to social-emotional learning that permeates the culture of the school.
The PKS curriculum is project-based and interdisciplinary. Units of Exploration integrate math, science, social studies, art, drama, and movement around overarching topics of inquiry in English and Chinese, contextualizing all learning through a real-world lens. Critical to this approach is hands-on, experiential instruction. As such, learning often takes place outside of the classroom.
The Music Teacher will partner with the current Music Teacher to provide an engaging Music program to our PreK-7 students. We are looking for a passionate, committed educator with a strong background in teaching music to both elementary and preschoolers. Candidates should be well versed in progressive pedagogical approaches to music instruction and comfortable working in collaborative environments. This is a full time position and reports to the Head of Upper Elementary.
· Create a warm and caring classroom community
· Create a classroom space that is differentiated, engaging, responsive, and beautiful
· Teach music to Preschool through Grade 5
· Co-plan and lead school assemblies, school gatherings, and events.
· Identify and respond to individual students’ social and emotional needs, including learning differences in collaboration with Learning Specialist and Counselor
· Use a variety of teaching techniques and strategies to engage students in learning
· Write progress reports and communicate with parents as needed
· Participate in reflection and coaching activities
· Partner with teachers to further develop the cultural and Asian/Chinese performing arts areas of their Units of Exploration
· Use documentation to make learning visible to the children, parents, and the larger community, and as a basis of your own professional growth.
Skills and Qualities
· A commitment to professional development and a growth mindset about learning for adults. We believe that everyone can improve and should continually work toward excellence.
· Flexibility to work with teaching teams and changing student needs.
· Sense of humor and ability to connect with students who may have difficulties connecting in other academic areas.
· The desire and ability to contribute to student and community life inside and outside the classroom. PKS is a community and our close relationships build a solid foundation for our students.
· A commitment to social justice and multicultural education. As a progressive school, we are growing engaged global citizens equipped with empathy, compassion, and practices that position them to thrive in a diverse society.
· Strong communication skills and an ability to effectively discuss the Wellness/Movement program with the larger PKS community.
· BA required, Master’s preferred.
· A strong background in Orff methodologies required. Orff certification preferred.
· Strong piano and/or guitar skills.
· Experience playing and teaching diverse genres of music.
· Minimum of three years teaching experience.
· Experience in an independent school setting helpful.
· An ability to collaborate and work comfortably with a team of teachers.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Strong time management and organizational skills.
· Bilingual and bi-literate in Mandarin Chinese and English a benefit, but not essential.
Please Send Application Materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please state the position of Music Teacher in the email subject line.
PKS offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Presidio Knolls School offers equal opportunity to all, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, and national origin, ethnicity, age, sex or disability or other protected class status under any applicable laws. Employment will be contingent on successful completion of a background check.