Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Statement of Mission
Junipero Serra High School is a Catholic college preparatory for boys. Located in San Mateo, in the heart of the San Francisco Peninsula, Serra’s legacy spans nearly 75 years of excellence in Catholic education. A rich and rigorous academic curriculum, a wide range of extracurricular activities, and an environment of support, compassion, and mutual respect are hallmarks of Serra. Serra’s faculty and staff are deeply committed to mentoring their students, providing a framework for young men to grow in faith, intellect and character.
The Chief Financial Officer provides guidance to the President of Junipero Serra High School regarding the overall financial policies and business practices of the School. This position is responsible for all financial, business and facilities activities to assure effective and efficient resource management. The Chief Financial Officer serves as a member of the executive leadership team of Junipero Serra High School.
The Chief Financial Officer reports to and serves at the discretion of the President of Junipero Serra High School.
The Chief Financial Officer manages the Assistant Finance Director, Director of Human Resources, Financial Aid Manager, Bookstore Manager/Receptionist, Facilities Director and maintenance and operations team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Policies & Procedures
● Establishes and implements all policies and procedures related to the business operations of the school, including human resources, financial management, risk management, and management of fixed assets.
● Advises President, Principal and Board of Regents on all business-related matters.
● Advises the President and Board of Regents on the development of short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections.
● Manages and monitors operations to ensure compliance with all policies and procedures.
● Keeps abreast of all current legislation, regulations, and business practices affecting the School’s operations.
● Supervises the accounting, human resources, and risk management functions of the School’s Business Office, establishing an effective team dynamic. Provides regular feedback to, and evaluation of, Business Office staff.
● Working with the Assistant Director of Finance, formulates and submits a proposed school budget to the President and the Board of Regents on an annual basis.
● Monitors individual and department accounts to ensure compliance with the budget.
● Provides monthly reports on budgetary performance to the President and appropriate school officers.
● Provides financial information/reports to the Board of Regents as requested and in a timely manner for regularly scheduled meetings of the Finance Committee.
● Stays up to date on new developments and changes to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in the Non-Profit Sector.
● Oversees cash, investment, and asset management and monitors the School’s investments and cash flow on a monthly basis.
● Oversees and keeps current an inventory of all fixed assets and, in consultation with the President and Board of Trustees, oversees a schedule of upgrade and replacement of depreciated fixed assets.
● Supervises an annual independent audit of the School’s financial statements.
● Reviews and approves school vendor contracts (valued under $10,000) Reviews and recommends action to the President of Junipero Serra High School of school vendor contracts valued above $10,000.
Facilities and Operations:
● In conjunction with the Director of Facilities and the maintenance and operations staff, ensures that all campus facilities are maintained, clean and are in good order on a daily basis.
● Oversees deferred maintenance planning and budgeting
● Develops capital budget
● Liaison for construction management
● Supports the Building and Grounds Committee of the Board of Regents
● Manages use agreements for outside users of the school facilities
● In conjunction with the Archdiocese, ensures that appropriate insurance coverage is in place.
● Recommends and develops procedures on limiting exposure to liability and risk to the health and safety of students, employees, and campus guests.
● Working in conjunction with the Director of Human Resources and Archdiocese, oversees employee benefits, payroll, personnel issues
● Liaison on legal matters.
● Consults with faculty and classified employee representatives on matters related to compensation and benefits.
● Makes recommendations to the President regarding all aspects of Human Resources.
● Stays current on new developments, practices, regulations and legislation in the human resources field.
Board of Regents
● Serves as general consultant to the Board on all areas of accountability of the Chief Financial Officer.
● Serves as staff liaison to various sub-committees to the Board of Trustees, which include Finance and Buildings and Grounds.
● Works with President, Finance Committee Chair and Archdiocese on all financial related matters.
COMMUNICATIONS AND RELATIONSHIPS:
● Works closely with the President, the Principal, and the leadership team on financial matters.
● Fosters and maintains business relationships with all school constituents, including administration, advancement, admissions, academic office, athletics, parent organizations and trustees
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES AND EDUCATION:
● A minimum of ten years of experience in the field of finance or accounting, with several years in a major decision-making role, preferably in a non-profit or educational setting.
● Experience in strategic planning and execution. Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in the Non-Profit sector. Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections. Ability to motivate co-workers to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
● Must possess strong analytical and interpersonal skills. Excellent written and public speaking ability in order to communicate effectively. Must be capable of serving in a leadership and supervisory role, and have the ability to set and meet goals in a timely manner.
● Must be proficient in a variety of software programs including Google Suite. Must become familiar with Navision and TADS software programs.
● These competencies are normally acquired by the achievement of a Business, Finance or Accounting degree from an accredited college or university.
● Other applicable competency or equivalent work experience may be considered.
Ability to sit for long periods of time. Perform daily activities from a desk. Operate a computer and various other office equipment. Capable of working prolonged hours on occasion. Attend evening and weekend events.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Comprehensive benefits package and competitive salary dependent upon experience.
If interested in this exciting job opportunity, please forward your resume, cover letter and two letters of reference by April 30, 2019
All application materials can be forwarded to:
Director of Human Resources
Junipero Serra High School
451 W. 20th Ave.
San Mateo, CA 94403
Deadline for applications is April 30, 2019