Westerly SchoolDevelopment Director
Our SchoolWesterly School is an independent, non-sectarian Kindergarten through 8th grade school focused on whole child education. Through inquiry-based pedagogy and practices, Westerly School strives to recognize and meet the needs of every individual student to ignite within each child a lifelong love of learning as they discover their full and unique potential. Founded in 1991 by a group of parents who wanted to provide an alternative to the Long Beach Unified School District education, Westerly remains the only independent school in Long Beach. Westerly currently enrolls 180 students.
Position DescriptionThe Development Director reports to the Head of School and collaborates with the entire leadership team including the Assistant Head of School, Director of Finance and Facilities, and the Director of Admissions. The Development Director is responsible for all aspects of fundraising including the Annual Fund, Major Gifts, Special Events, and Grants. This job is accomplished through the individual’s own direct efforts as well as partnering with the Board-led Advancement Committee and effectively leveraging the skills and volunteer contributions of Westerly parents and alumni, board members, and staff.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
● Works with the Board Advancement committee to develop and implement fundraising strategies and overarching fundraising plan
● Cultivates and sustains donor relationships, including donor recognition and stewardship
● Evaluates current fundraising strategies and methods and recommends changes as appropriate
● Oversees the Annual Fund process
● Develop and partner with the Head of School to implement Major Gift Program
● Oversee the annual Auction event through stewardship of the auction chairs, committee members and volunteers. This includes recruiting parent volunteers to head the auction and serve on the auction committee as well as managing the Development database, and serving as the administrative lead for the event.
● Responds to donor concerns, requests, and gifts including recognition, invoicing, and annual statements in a timely and accurate manner
● Works with the Head of School and Board of Trustees to reach fundraising goals
○ Engage the Board in fundraising activities to identify and approach new individual and corporate funding prospects
● Prepares solicitation materials including targeted appeals and social media communication
● Educate internal stakeholders about fundraising in independent schools
● Maintains the donor database management system according to all IRS specifications, and School policies and procedures
● Fulfill other duties as assigned by the Head of School
Qualifications and Skills:
● Bachelor's Degree
● A minimum of 3 - 5 years of relevant fundraising or school-related experience
● Demonstrated strengths in interpersonal skills, collaboration, and initiative
● Ability to prioritize, organize and manage multiple projects efficiently
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Experience with donor database management is a plus
● Excellent understanding of principles and techniques of Development activities, including annual giving, major giving, planned giving, event planning, capital campaigns, marketing and communications, and grant procurement
● Position requires absolute confidentiality and professionalism in appearance, attitude and presentation
Job InformationJob Type: Full-time
Hybrid work schedule consisting of 4 days in-person and 1 day remote
Pay range - $70,000 - $90,000 commensurate with skills and experience
Benefits - Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance; Flexible Spending Account; 403(b) retirement plan, vacation and paid sick leave
Westerly School is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on age, color, creed, disability, gender, marital status, national origin or ancestry, race, religion, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, a medical condition including genetic characteristics, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
Applicants, please submit a cover letter and, resume to:
Toni DiNapoli, Director of Finance, at email@example.com with "Director of Development - (your name)" written in the subject line.
Cal-ISBOA is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org
Copyright ISBOA 2011 — Present