Stevenson School is a PK-12 co-educational, college-preparatory, boarding and day school with enrollment of 770 students on two campuses in beautiful Central Coast California. The Upper Division campus (Grades 9-12) is located in Pebble Beach. The Lower/Middle Campus (Grades PK-8) is in nearby Carmel-by-the-Sea. Stevenson is a mission driven school that aims to help students shape joyful lives while instilling a passion for learning and achievement to prepare them for success in school and beyond. The core values of the community are safety, trust, respect, belonging, and inclusion.
In keeping with Stevenson’s core values, we seek candidates who demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion. Stevenson is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law. Candidates from underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Stevenson is pleased to offer transportation support and accommodations, as needed, along with an introduction to the local area, for those candidates who travel from outside of the region for on-campus employment interviews. In addition to competitive salary, Stevenson provides a generous benefits package with housing support available for eligible employees. Delicious meals are provided daily for all employees when school is in session.
Stevenson School seeks an Assistant Controller for immediate start.
The assistant controller reports to and works in close collaboration with the controller to provide accounting support for business office functions including daily processing of receipts and disbursements, reconciliation of general ledger accounts, payroll processing, and other finance-related tasks. This is a 12-month/year, in-person, full-time, exempt position.
Assist Controller with day-to-day activities including but not limited to:
- Month end closing process
- Capital expenditure tracking and Fixed asset ledgers
- Monthly book reconciliations
- Regular reconciliation and analysis of G/L accounts
- Tuition billing and receivables collection
- Preparation for quarterly board meetings, annual financial statement audit, annual 403(b) retirement plan audit, and annual form 990 tax return filing
- Researches and helps resolve accounting and documentation problems
- Preparation of analytical reports for areas such as water usage, utility efficiency, legal and professional fees, and credit card usage
- Daily receipts detail input and monthly journal entry upload
- Responsible for student billing and accounts receivable collections; reconcile billings and receipts to the general ledger, for example tuition, tuition discounts and incidentals
- Prepare sales & use tax returns and property tax returns
- Oversee accounting for summer programs and camps
- Assist with maintaining records for school’s current debt obligations
- Assist with disseminating departmental budget information to various departments
- Support processing of monthly and biweekly payrolls, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or related field
- Minimum of three years of experience in accounting; independent school experience preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google
- Familiarity with computerized accounting system Blackbaud/Financial Edge a plus
- Excellent analytical, communication and organizational skills
- Understanding of accounting theory and ability to research and resolve accounting problems and applications
- Must be highly motivated and a self-starter
- Customer service mentality and a team player
- Highly developed professional judgment and commitment to maintaining discretion and confidentiality
- Commitment to being part of a diverse, equitable and inclusive school community
$70K - $95K
Interested candidates are invited to use the link provided to submit a resume to:
Susan Fahey Khanna, Director of Human Resources