Reports to: the Director of Advancement
Position type: Full time, Exempt
Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 co-educational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland (K-8) and Lafayette (9-12), California. Bentley School is an inclusive community that shares a vision of academic achievement, balance, and the cultivation of character. Bentley School seeks a highly organized Special Events Manager.
The Special Events Manager will work as a member of a collaborative Advancement team to manage a wide range of events for parents, alumni, donors and the broader School community, and other related duties as needed.
Primary areas of responsibility include:
● Serving as lead organizer for large events across both campuses, including but not limited to Commencement/Promotion ceremonies, the Annual Gala (in collaboration with the Director of Advancement and Gala Chairs), donor receptions and fundraising events, alumni and alumni parent events, Grandparents Day, and other school events.
● Managing smaller ad hoc events across both campuses, including faculty appreciation events, parties with students and parents, and impromptu celebrations throughout the school year.
● Creating and maintaining event plans and timelines to coordinate responsibilities and work with colleagues across both campuses, including Front Office Coordinators and the Facilities Department.
● Collaborating with the Director of Marketing and Communications on promotional materials, including web, print, and social.
● Managing events from start to finish, including volunteer management, vendor management (entertainment, food and beverage, rentals, etc.), facilities and A/V needs, budget, registration, and event close-out, as appropriate.
● Collaborating with the Director of Advancement to identify event goals, enhancing the effectiveness of events in planning and implementation, and ensure events are aligned to the school’s strategic priorities.
● Assist school leadership with other priorities as needed, including but not limited to engagement with the parent, donor, and alumni communities.
● Bachelor’s degree
● Minimum of three years of experience in events management
● Ability to work evenings and weekends when applicable (some events may be held outside of standard business hours)
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Ability to be highly confidential in handling sensitive personal and institutional knowledge
● Self-starter who can plan, execute, and evaluate projects independently as well as collaborate in a school and team environment
● Fluency in Microsoft applications, Google applications and social media tools required
All Bentley School employees are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19 before the start of their employment.
Bentley is an equal opportunity employer and seeks rich diversity among faculty and administration. The School offers competitive compensation and benefits.
How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest and CV/resume. A list with the names and contact information of three (3) references should also be included. No phone calls please.
Qualified, interested candidate may apply for this position through online application at
Cal-ISBOA is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org
Copyright ISBOA 2011 — Present