WALDEN CENTER & SCHOOL
Walden Center and School (Walden) is a leader in progressive elementary education and collective administration. Our school has a rich history of teaching creative minds and alternative thinkers over the last 60 years, with a strong commitment to a fully-integrated arts curriculum. We cultivate a diverse community of learners, families, and teachers to create a secure and textured learning environment. Walden students love to go to school.
We are a small school run by a collective. Decision making is consensus-based. As a part of the collective, the business manager input is held closely as school decisions are made. If you have a vision of building a close-knit community, of working closely with parents, and a small committed team of teachers, this may be the engaging, invigorating, satisfying job you are looking for.
The Business Manager at Walden Center & School has direct responsibility for all aspects of the financial and business integrity of the school, including, but not limited to, finances, tuition and financial aid, payroll, benefits administration, and long-term sustainability. The work of the Business Manager will be primarily remote, with the requirement to be on campus for meetings, certain events, to pick-up and drop off work, and as needed.
Finance & Accounting
● Work with Collective and Board of Directors (Walden Foundation) to prepare and develop annual budget
● Performs all bookkeeping/accounting tasks including, but not limited to AR/AP/Payroll
● Responsible for maintaining the QuickBooks general ledger in accordance with GAAP
● Prepares all monthly reconciliations and schedules (including bank, investment, accounts receivable, prepaid expenses, fixed assets, accounts payable, deferred revenue, fund balance, payroll and others)
● Process bi-weekly payroll using ADP Workforce Now
● Prepare timely and accurate monthly and annual Financial Statements with budget variances
● Day to day budget monitoring
● Develop internal controls to ensure school assets are properly controlled
● Maintain relationships with banks and investment firm and manage cash and investments as directed by the Walden Foundation
● Work with Foundation in regards to Walden’s Annual Giving Fund and other fundraising events
● Keep school in legal compliance with IRS, State of California and other regulatory bodies
● File annual statements of use tax, business property tax, welfare exemption, business license, 1099s, etc.
● Manage audit if required by the Walden Foundation or other funding sources
● Provide tax accountant with information and ensure the timely filing of the annual IRS and State of CA tax forms
● Complete annual census report for ERISA 403b Plan and ensure accurate filing Form 5500
● Monitor, review, and respond to Independent School Business Officer Administration (ISBOA) emails and attend ISBOA meetings, prepare annual ISBOA reporting
● Complete insurance renewal forms yearly and make recommendations to the Walden Foundation regarding current policies
● Lead Finance Committee Meetings and manage membership
● Attend Foundation meetings and present financials and other finance related matters
Tuition, Accounts Receivable, & Financial Aid
● Develop and foster professional and collaborative relationships with parents, be available to answer questions timely and manage collections in an empathetic manner
● Maintain student billing database in FACTS billing system and reconcile to general ledger
● Oversee school financial aid program and awards in accordance with Walden’s mission, philosophy, and financial aid policy
● In conjunction with the Admissions Coordinator, utilize School & Student Services (SSS) platform to assess family’s financial needs.
● Manage on and off boarding of employees
● Maintain accurate records in web-based payroll processing platform – ADP Workforce Now
● Liaise with insurance brokers, attorneys, and other outside parties as needed to address issues as they relate to payroll and benefits
● Produce and distribute updated compensation memos to staff on an annual basis
● Work with Walden Personnel Committee to ensure Employee Handbook is in continued compliance with legal requirements and best practices and communicate with Walden Collective, Foundation, and Finance Committee
● Coordinate open enrollment of Walden’s health and other benefits
● Administer Walden’s 403b retirement plan
● Review and, when necessary, suggest changes to the employee benefit package
Collective Administrative Responsibilities
● Supports the school’s vision and mission
● Attend’s weekly staff meetings from 3-6 pm
● Serve on three school committees (the Walden Finance Committee and two of your choosing)
● Read and respond to school business email communications
● Support ongoing school business after hours and on weekends as needed
Skills, Qualifications, Experience
● Knowledge of accounting best practices, internal controls, Generally Accepted Account Principles (GAAP), with specific application to a non-profit organization.
● Understand debits, credits, journal entries, and all other day to day accounting department transactions
● Strong familiarity with federal and California labor laws, regulations, and employment best practices
● Experience in risk management, accounting, budgeting, process improvement, and technology solutions
● Highly self-motivated, ability to manage time well, be self-directed and meet multiple deadlines
● Strong problem-solving and communications skills, with the ability to establish trust
● Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal and presentation skills
● Ability to think ahead and plan over a one-to-five year time span
● Strong technology skills
● Consistent exercise of discretion and good judgement with the highest ethical standards
● Ability to work collaboratively within a consensus decision making model
● Experience and knowledge of QuickBooks or equivalent
● Experience with FACTS, SSS, and ADP Workforce Now or equivalent
● Previous experience with independent school administration
Degree in Accounting or equivalent experience
We look for candidates who thrive on ownership, collaboration, service, creativity and collaboration. Salary and benefits are competitive. This is a 100% full-time exempt salaried position.
Walden Center & School actively seeks to build a diverse student, staff and parent community. We are an avid equal opportunity employer and seek applicants who reflect the rich diversity of the Bay Area. We do not discriminate on the basis of basis of age, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, family-care status, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
For more information about Walden Center & School, please visit us at waldencenterschool.org
Submit cover letter and resume to WaldenCenterSchoolHiring@gmail.com
Cal-ISBOA is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org
Copyright ISBOA 2011 — Present