Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Position Title: Librarian/Media Coordinator
Reports To: Head of School
Park Century School was founded in 1968 as an independent not-for-profit, co-educational day school to meet the needs of children who learn differently. Park Century serves students between the ages of 7 to 14, or grades 2nd to 8th, living in the Southbay to the San Fernando Valley and throughout the greater Los Angeles area. Park Century’s mission is to empower bright children with learning differences to reach their academic and personal potential. Students flourish within our individualized, evidence-based curriculum and supportive environment. In collaboration with their families, the school inspires students to develop into resilient self-advocates and builds a foundation for lifelong achievement.
Coordinates all aspects of the library and student media projects.
As a leader, the school librarian creates an environment where collaboration and creative problem solving thrive. The school librarian is an excellent communicator who instills enthusiasm in both students and teachers by making them feel that they are important members of a team. The candidate fosters an environment of creativity, innovation, and openness to new ideas, welcoming and encouraging input from others to create consensus. The school librarian demonstrates his or her role as a visible and active leader within the school community, and serves as an advocate for the school library program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Establishes and maintains a check-out system for all library materials
· Processes and catalogs all materials for circulation
· Maintains a schedule for the use of materials
· Keeps track of where books are located and maintains a computer database for such
· Supports classroom teachers and specialists as they design and implement units of instruction
· Maintains confidential information
· Maintains accurate and up-to-date computer card catalog, shelf lists and circulation records
· Provides guidance and supervision to parent volunteers
· Inventories all materials annually and completes related reports
· Performs all duties such as circulation, collection management and development, and cataloging
· Teaches research and library skills instruction to grades 2-8
· Organizes the school’s yearly book fair, which includes arranging for an author to speak to the students
· Conducts age appropriate student story times to inspire a love of reading
· Teaches Literature as a subject to individuals and groups
· Attends professional development conferences and workshops
· Engages in activities/organizations and reads material to keep abreast in the field of library science
· Coordinates 8th grade media projects
· Works with the Business Office in meeting budgetary requirements
· Collaborates with fellow faculty to purchase materials and resources, including curriculum orders
The successful candidate will strive to make the library a warm and welcoming place to readers of all levels and abilities. The candidate will enjoy working in a team-oriented environment and will appreciate and support reluctant readers.
The position calls for a minimum of a BA in English and/or a degree in Library Science.
Please send a resume and cover letter (required) to Park Century School, Human Resources Department, to the attention of: Evelyn Zuk at firstname.lastname@example.org.