Support | Solutions | Professional Advancement
Reports To: Head of School and Head of the Upper School
Position Type: Full-Time, Faculty, Exempt
Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 coeducational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland and Lafayette, California. Bentley is an inclusive community that shares a vision of transformational learning and respect for the individual. Bentley seeks a full-time Mandarin Chinese teacher at the Upper School campus in Lafayette.
Candidates should be able and eager to teach introductory through advanced courses of Mandarin in the World Languages Department. The World Languages Department at Bentley is an innovative, collaborative group that seeks a candidate to complement the strengths of the department and to add his or her own expertise and background to the core curriculum in Mandarin Chinese.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
● Teach five sections of Mandarin, including introductory to advanced courses.
● Attend regular World Languages Department meetings.
● Lead an advisory group and participate in co-curricular activities that may include proctoring exams, advising clubs, coaching, or working with student organizations.
● Work with students in large and small group settings using multiple teaching methods to reach a broad range of students and their learning styles.
● Bachelor’s degree in Mandarin Chinese (Mandarin language/linguistics, Chinese literature, Mandarin studies or affiliated field); or a near-native level of Mandarin Chinese with a Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
● A strong understanding of the latest developments in world language teaching methodology.
● Experience in an interdisciplinary environment with an emphasis on group collaboration and use of technology.
● Ability and willingness to work with students in large and small group settings using multiple teaching methods to reach a broad range of students.
● Desire to continually examine one’s practice with the goal of improving student learning.
● Commitment to issues of diversity, leadership, inclusion, and equity. Candidates who reflect the broad range of diversity of the Bay Area are encouraged to apply.
● An advanced degree in Mandarin Chinese (Mandarin language/linguistics, Chinese literature, Mandarin studies or affiliated field).
● Familiarity with the current AP Mandarin Chinese Language and Culture curriculum.
● Experience in independent schools.
● A passion for working with young people.
● A desire to collaborate in a dynamic community of teachers.
● Excellent interpersonal, writing, and communication skills.
● Experience in working with high school or college age students in an academic setting.
● Experience in innovative course design, planning, implementation, and assessment.
Bentley is an equal opportunity employer and seeks rich diversity among faculty and administration. The School offers competitive compensation and benefits.
How to Apply
Please email letter of interest, CV/resume, and a statement of teaching philosophy that addresses both your approach to working with students and your approach to classroom practices. A list with the names and contact information of three (3) references should also be included. Materials may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Mandarin Chinese Teacher in the subject line. No phone calls please.